When Should You Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
There are a number of ways that a person can be injured due to someone else’s fault. Motor vehicle accidents (car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle), ATV accidents, dog bites, and “slip or trip and falls” happen all the time. Some cause minor injuries that heal relatively quickly. Others cause serious injuries, permanent impairment, and losses that can last a lifetime. Given that there are many types of personal injury claims and that the severity of injuries can range so much, how do you know when you should hire a personal injury lawyer?
Calgary’s First West Law discusses when to contact a personal injury lawyer
Each case is unique. The question of whether you need to hire a personal injury lawyer will depend on many factors, including how seriously injured you are. The easier question to answer is when you should reach out to a lawyer- as soon as possible after you have been injured. Getting legal advice early on is important to making informed decisions and will keep you from missing critical deadlines. Don’t hesitate to reach out to a lawyer to discuss your injuries, your rights, and your legal options, and don’t be shy to ask how it will benefit you to have a personal injury lawyer on your side.
Questions to ask yourself if you are considering hiring a personal injury lawyer
If you have been injured by someone else’s negligence and you are considering whether you need to hire a personal injury lawyer, Calgary’s First West Law LLP recommends asking yourself the following questions:
• How serious are my injuries, and how are my injuries impacting my life? Am I able to focus on recovery and treatment while dealing with a personal injury claim on my own?
• Is the insurance company pressuring me to accept a settlement or asking me for information that I am not sure I should provide?
• Has the insurance adjuster taken the position that the accident was wholly or partly my fault?
• Do I know all the types of compensation I could receive for my injuries (damages for pain and suffering, compensation for the impact that the injury is having on my ability to earn income or take care of my home, reimbursement for treatment and other expenses, etc.)?
• How do I make sure I am claiming against the right parties? For example: Do I have a claim against another driver, a road maintenance company, a property owner, a business, a municipality, and/or the Alberta government?
• How long do I have to make an insurance claim or start a lawsuit?
• What do I need to prove my claim for compensation? For example: Do I need eyewitness evidence or expert evidence to prove how the injury occurred? Do I have enough medical evidence to prove my injuries? What documents do I need to establish that I have lost income to date or that I will lose income in the future?
• How can a personal injury lawyer help me get maximum compensation for my injuries?
If you do not know the answers to these questions, you should reach out to our team of experienced Calgary personal injury lawyers today. Our skilled, compassionate personal injury lawyers will answer your questions and advise you on your legal rights and options. If you have been injured and decide to hire us to help you, we will guide you through the claims process and ensure you avoid critical errors which may limit the amount of compensation to which you would otherwise be entitled. Our experienced personal injury lawyers will evaluate your claim so you know how much your claim is worth, advise you on how long the process will take, and deal with the insurance company on your behalf so you can focus on getting well. We will fight for full and fair compensation by way of negotiated settlement, and if the insurance company is not offering fair compensation, we have the experience and knowledge to take your matter to trial to get you the compensation you deserve.
Discuss your case with our trusted team of Calgary personal injury lawyers
Calgary’s First West Law LLP has experience with all types of personal injury claims, including motor vehicle accidents, recreational accidents, bicycle accidents, farm accidents, and “slip and falls.” Our lawyers help people who have been injured get compensation, whether it is a relatively straightforward claim or a complex case that includes catastrophic injuries or fatalities. We can give you the information you need to make an informed decision about your personal injury case, without overloading you with complex legal terms. To request a consultation, we invite you to contact First West Law LLP today at 403-543-7750.